Shitul is a Partner in the Corporate & Commercial Department of the Firm.
He is a qualified Advocate of the High Court of Kenya, an Attorney and Counsellor at Law in New York and a Solicitor of the Senior Courts of England & Wales. He holds a current Practicing Certificate issued by the Solicitors Regulation Authority of England & Wales.
Shitul obtained his LLB (Hons.) from the London School of Economics, University of London, in 1999, trained with Kaplan & Stratton and qualified as an Advocate of the High Court of Kenya in 2001. He joined Daly & Figgis (as it then was) as an Associate in the Corporate & Commercial Department until 2005, practiced in various sectors in the UK for 6 years during which time he headed the Legal Department of a multinational IT/Telecoms Consultancy, was a lawyer in a not for profit public organisation with over 2500 employees and acted as an independent UK law legal expert for an online US based business.
Shitul has a wide range of experience in both local and foreign law cross border commercial transactions.
He is ranked as a Highly Regarded lawyer by IFLR1000 and Legal 500.
Areas of Practice
Shitul’s main areas of practice are Corporate, Commercial, Competition, Capital Markets, M&A, Foreign Investments, Real Estate and Securities.
- Member of Law Society of Kenya
- Member of the East Africa Law Society
- Member of the Law Society of England & Wales
- Member of the New York State Bar Association
- Member of the Institute of Certified Public Secretaries of Kenya
Indicative Work Experience
- Acting for RMA Motors Kenya in connection with the sale of its Jaguar Land Rover business and assets in Kenya to Inchcape Group of the UK and advising on the Kenyan and COMESA competition implications.
- Advising on Kenyan and COMESA competition implications on the sale of Sadolin Paint Group in East Africa to Kansai Plascon of Japan.
- Acting for Thomas Cook India and Private Safaris in the sale of the entire shareholding in Private Safaris by Kuoni Travel Group to Thomas Cook India.
- Advising the African Guarantee Fund for Small and Medium Sized Enterprises in connection with various commercial, financial and property transactions.
- Acting for Safaricom Plc in connection with its proposed acquisition of AccessKenya/Internet Solutions. Safaricom was outbid on this acquisition by another party.
- Advising Old Mutual Group in connection with its acquisition of Faulu Microfinance and in connection with its acquisition of control of UAP Group.
- Advising on the sale of Mercantile Insurance to Saham Group of Morocco.
- Advising Asante Capital EPZ on Kenyan competition implications in connection with the equity investment in it by the Moringa Fund.
- Acting for Tamarind Group in connection with its investment in and management of Tamarind Tree Hotel, Langata.
- Acting for Fedha Management Group in connection with the management arrangements of Best Western Riverside Grove.
- Advising Herbert Smith Freehills Paris on Kenyan competition law.
- Acting as a Non Executive Director of Vodacom Business Kenya Limited.
- Acting as Trustee of the BRITAM Holdings Plc Employee Share Ownership Plan (ESOP) and advising on the capital markets and tax implications in connection with the establishment of such ESOP.
- Acting as Trustee of the various Safaricom Plc Employee Share Ownership Plans (ESOP’s) and advising on the capital markets and tax implications in connection with the establishment of such ESOP’s.
- Acting as Trustee of the WPP Scangroup Plc Employee Share Ownership Plans and advising on the capital markets and tax implications in connection with the establishment of such ESOP’s.