Samir is a Partner and Head of the Litigation & Dispute Resolution Department of Daly & Inamdar. He was previously the Principal Partner of Inamdar & Inamdar, Advocates, before its merger with Daly & Figgis, Advocates, in 2016.
Samir was admitted as a Solicitor in England in 1986 and as an Advocate of the High Court of Kenya in 1996. He was a Partner at Inamdar Vassie, Solicitors, in London between 1990 and 1995 and, prior to that, he was with Merriman White, Solicitors, in London from 1983 to 1990.
Samir is ranked as a leading lawyer by international legal directory, Legal 500.
He is regularly retained for a wide range of advisory and consultancy work by a variety of international legal practices, shipping companies, P&I Clubs and other commercial enterprises to advise on matters relating to Kenyan law, practice and procedure and to represent parties and/or lead other Counsel in court and arbitrations.
Areas of Practice
Samir’s areas of practice are Civil and Commercial Litigation, Arbitration, Constitutional Law and Judicial Review, Medical Negligence, Insurance, Admiralty and Maritime Law, Succession Disputes, Company Law, Receivership and Insolvency, Conveyancing, Banking Securities and Finance.
- Member of the Law Society of Kenya
- Member of the Mombasa Law Society
- Member of the East Africa Law Society
- Member of the Law Society of England & Wales
- Member of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators
Indicative Work Experience
Samir deals with a wide range of contentious and complex civil and commercial matters including admiralty and maritime claims, carriage of goods claims, charter-party disputes, constitutional and judicial review matters, corporate and partnership disputes, land disputes, medical negligence claims, professional disciplinary proceedings, insurance disputes, industrial disputes, receiverships, and general civil and contractual disputes.
Recent Contentious Work
- Successfully resolving a dispute involving the attachment of a power supply barge by way of a Mareva injunction issued by the High Court of Mombasa.
- Successfully overturning a High Court judgment striking out a Winding Up Petition in the Court of Appeal and establishing principles involved in serving documents in winding up causes.
- Successfully overturning a High Court judgment in the Court of Appeal concerning the constitutional right of a professional to be prosecuted by a disciplinary tribunal without undue delay.
- Successfully defending a derivative action and settling a substantial shareholders dispute concerning the sale of their company’s stake in a paint manufacturing group.
- Successfully dismissing arbitration proceedings brought against a major cement manufacturer claiming substantial damages arising out of the award of a tender.
- Successfully upholding a High Court judgment in the Court of Appeal in a major insurance dispute turning on the legal principles applicable to non-disclosure and misrepresentation in the issuance of an insurance policy by an insurer.
- Successfully obtaining a warrant of arrest and an Anton Piller order to secure and preserve ships logs in a dispute involving a salvage claim made in respect of an immobilized vessel and the cargo laden aboard it which had drifted into Somali waters.
- Currently engaged in the Supreme Court in a landmark case turning on the jurisdiction of a Water Board to levy charges for use of sea water by the salt manufacturing industry.
- Currently engaged in the Court of Appeal in seeking to establish the statutory immunity available to a major regional bank concerning liability in exercise of its lending powers.
- Currently engaged in the High Court in a substantial claim against the Kenya Airports Authority and its appointed contractor for unpaid amounts due to a sub-contractor for construction works undertaken at Jomo Kenyatta International Airport.
- Currently engaged in defending members of the mining industry against a complaint made over their alleged failure to comply with licensing provisions of the Mining Act.
- Currently engaged in defending several high profile disciplinary and court actions brought against leading members of the medical profession for alleged negligence in their treatment and management of patients.