Hamish is the Senior and Managing Partner of the Firm and the Head of the Corporate & Commercial Department. Born and raised in Kenya, he qualified as an English Solicitor and Kenyan Advocate and he is also a practicing Certified Public Secretary.
He was a Solicitor at Bower Cotton & Bower Solicitors in London until 1973. He worked at Kaplan & Stratton for 24 years upon returning to Kenya, before joining Daly & Inamdar (formerly Daly & Figgis) in the year 1997.
Hamish’s legal practice in Kenya spans over 44 years and the invaluable experience he has gained over the years provides clients with a breadth of information and thorough advice, not only on the legal, but also commercial aspects of any transaction.
He is ranked as one of the leading commercial lawyers in Kenya by international legal directories; Chambers Global, IFLR1000 and Legal 500.
Areas of Practice
Hamish’s primary area of practice is Commercial and Corporate Law. He has substantial experience of Banking and Commercial transactions including large Business Projects and major Financings, Privatizations and Mergers and Acquisitions. He has worked on a variety of International and Kenyan Projects including projects in the Telecommunications, Electricity, Mining and Oil sectors and has experience of Concession Agreements and related Regulatory work.
- English Solicitor, 1973
- Kenya Advocate, 1975
- Certified Public Secretary
- Patent Agent
Indicative Work Experience
- Advising on IPOs/Privatizations of various companies, including Kenya Airways, Safaricom, Serena Hotels, Firestone East Africa, Eveready Batteries, Athi River Mining, Britam Holdings and Scangroup.
- Acting as the lead Partner responsible for advising on the acquisitions by: Old Mutual of UAP Holdings and Faulu Microfinance Bank; AON Group Plc of AON Kenya Insurance Brokers and Britam Insurance of Real Insurance Kenya.
- Acting as the lead Partner for the sale of the Sadolin East Africa Group of Companies in Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, Zanzibar and Burundi to Kansai Plascon.
- Acting as the Kenyan legal advisor to Vodafone Group Plc in relation to the sale by Vodafone International Holdings BV of an 87.5% shareholding in Vodafone Kenya Ltd, the owner of 40% of Safaricom.