George is a Partner in the Litigation & Dispute Resolution Department of the Firm, and an Advocate of the High Court of Kenya. He is a qualified Arbitrator and Mediator and Member of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (MCIArb).
George obtained his Bachelor of Laws Degree from the University of Nairobi in the year 2009, undertook his pupillage at Daly & Figgis Advocates and was admitted as an Advocate of the High Court of Kenya in 2011. He became a Partner at the Firm in 2014.
Over his years of practice, George has engaged in significant dispute resolution for both municipal and international clients, including handling litigation cases of jurisprudential value in Kenya. He has appeared for clients in the Supreme Court of Kenya, the Court of Appeal, the High Court, the Employment and Labour Relations Court, the Environment and Land Court and, in particular instances, the Subordinate Courts.
George also represents clients before Quasi-Judicial bodies, including but not limited to the Business Premises Rent Tribunal, the Public Procurement Administrative Review Board, the Public Private Partnership Petition Committee, the Competition Authority and the Tax Appeals Tribunal.
Areas of Practice
George is primarily involved in Civil, Commercial and both Public & Private Law Litigation.
- Member of the Law Society of Kenya
- Member of the East Africa Law Society
- Member of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators
Indicative Work Experience
- Appearing before the Competition Authority of Kenya on behalf of the East African Portland Cement Company Limited and successfully shielding the company from liability (financial or otherwise) on allegations that it had engaged in restrictive trade practices under the Competition Act.
- Appearing, before the High Court, on behalf of a building and construction Company – Vil Limited, and successfully obtaining interim measures of protection against the Kenya National Highways Authority which sought to terminate one of Vil’s road contracts worth Kenya Shillings Two Billion Five Hundred and Five Million Nine Hundred and Twenty-Four Thousand, Five Hundred and Thirty-Six Shillings (KES 2,505,924,536).
- Appearing before the Malindi High Court and successfully representing one of our corporate clients, Madeteni Limited, in a land dispute involving a high value beach front property. The High Court held that Madeteni Limited was the bona fide owner of the suit property and proceeded to nullify the Defendants purported title.
- Appearing in a Judicial Review matter, where one of the Firm’s corporate client, Twiga Chemicals Industries Limited successfully opposed an Agency Notice issued by the Kenya Revenue Authority in respect of tens of millions of Kenya Shillings.
- Successfully representing the International Container Terminal Services Incorporated (ICTSI) – a leading international port developer and operator, in a dispute relating to the Selection of the Concessionaire for Phase 1 of the Second Container Terminal Port of Mombasa, Kenya. The Firm obtained the setting aside of a decision through which the Kenya Ports Authority disqualified ICTSI’s technical bid in the tender.
- Successfully defending De La Rue Currency and Security Print Limited in the Court of Appeal in the oft quoted employment relations case of – Thomas De La Rue (K) Ltd. –Vs.- David Opondo Omutelema 2013 eKLR. This case has become a reference point for lawyers and courts in adjudications of termination of employment disputes where the said termination relates to a redundancy.