Ashwini is a Partner in the Corporate & Commercial Department of the Firm, an Advocate of the High Court of Kenya and Solicitor of the Supreme Court of England and Wales. She has over 30 years of experience practicing Corporate and Commercial Law.
Admitted English Solicitor 1984, Kenyan Advocate 1998, Assistant Solicitor in the Legal Department of British Coal Corporation 1985 and subsequently with Nabarro Nathanson Solicitors until 1991; Head of Legal Affairs at Polygram Film International Limited from 1992 to 1995; subsequently moved to Kenya and joined Daly & Inamdar Advocates in August 1998 as an associate and subsequently became a Partner in the firm in January 2001.
Ashwini is ranked as a leading lawyer by IFLR1000 and Legal 500.
Areas of Practice
Ashwini’s primary area of practice is Commercial and Corporate Law. She handles a large variety of corporate matters, including Acquisitions, Mergers, Company Restructurings and Capital Market Transactions, as well as drafting Commercial Agreements.
- Member of the Law Society of Kenya
- Member of the East Africa Law Society
- Member of the Law Society of England and Wales
- Member of the Institute of Certified Public Secretaries of Kenya
Indicative Work Experience
- Acting for the shareholders of the Sadolin Group of Companies (Uganda, Kenya and Tanzania) on their sale of shares to Kansai Plascon Africa Limited, advising on all aspects of this complex cross border transactions to successful completion.
- Acting for Old Mutual Holdings Limited on its acquisition of Shares from Centum Investment Limited and Dr. Chris Kirubi in UAP Holdings Limited the largest value transaction in Kenya in recent years, advising on acquisition and drafting all transaction documents.
- Advising Vodafone PLC and Safaricom Limited on the setup of the M-PESA mobile phone money transfer system – an international ground-breaking innovation first rolled out in Kenya.
- Acting for Britam on their acquisition of Shares in Real Insurance Kenya, undertaking Due Diligence on the company and negotiating and drafting all transaction documents.
- Providing advice in relation to China Development Bank’s funding of infrastructure projects in Kenya.
- Advising on the establishment of Trademark East Africa Limited (TMEA), a Kenyan company funded by the Department of the International Development for the British Government and other donors with the objective of increasing economic growth and reducing poverty throughout East Africa. Ashwini advised on the structure of the project, on the policies and procedures to be implemented for the operation of the company and on the terms of the various contracts to be entered into for the implementation of the programs including contracts with the donors and various service providers and contractors.
- Advising TMEA and drafting terms of Grant and Finance Agreement with (i) the Republic of Uganda, the Uganda National Roads Authority for the provision of financial assistance to assist in the financing of a road upgrading project; and (ii) with the Kenya Ports Authority and Trade Mark East Africa for the provision of financial assistance for the improvement of the Port of Mombasa facilities; and (iii) with the Kenya Highway Authority for improvement of roads.