Michael is a Legal Executive in the Corporate and Commercial Department of the Firm. He has over 37 years’ experience working in the Intellectual Property (IP) sector.
Michael worked in the Trademarks and Patents Section at the Attorney General of Kenya’s office from 1979 to 1991. He then joined the Kenya Industrial Property Office (KIPO) in February 1991, when the Trademarks and Patents Section was detached from the Attorney General’s Office and served there till August 1992.
Michael joined the Commercial Department at Messrs. Ndungu Njoroge & Kwach, Advocates where he served in the Trademarks and Patents Section from 1992 to 2003. In June 2003 Michael joined Messrs. Daly & Figgis, Advocates (now Daly & Inamdar Advocates) as a Legal Executive in the Trademarks, Patents and Industrial Designs (IP) Department of the Firm.
Michael has attended several intellectual/industrial property seminars and workshops organized by the Government in conjunction with the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO).
Areas of Practice
Michael’s primary area of practice is intellectual property matters, including searches, trademark registrations, trademark oppositions, trademark assignments and mergers, license (registered user) agreements, patents / utility model registrations and industrial designs registrations.
Indicative Work Experience
Michael does the day-to-day running of the IP Department at the Firm. He carries out registration of trademarks, patents, utility models and industrial designs, renewals, changes of name and address, drafting license/ registered user agreements, drafting deeds of assignment, mergers, notices of opposition, counter statements, statutory declarations, statements of case, amendments, alterations, surrender and cancellations. He has been involved in, among other matters:
- Acting for the Reckitt Benckiser Group of Companies on their IP matters.
- Acting for Twiga Chemical Industries Ltd., on registration of various trademarks and management of their other IP matters.
- Acting for PT Indolakto, PT Salim Ivomas Pratama Tbk and PT. Indofood CBP Sukses Makmur Tbk., on the registration of their new trademarks in Kenya.
- Acting for the Tamarind Group on their IP matters in Kenya.
- Acting for Lego Juris A/S on their IP matters in Kenya.
- Acting for C&S Electric Ltd., in the protection of their trademarks in Kenya.
- Acting for Farmer’s Choice Ltd., on all their IP matters.